Brazil 2014: Two killed at World Cup stadium

A construction accident at the site of the Brazilian stadium that will host the opening match of the World Cup killed two workers, Sao Paulo fire officials said Wednesday.
Officials initially said there were three victims, but the fire department amended the death toll on its Twitter account.
The Arena Corinthians is one of the venues that will host World Cup matches in 2014.
A crane was hoisting a part of the metal roof when it collapsed, causing the piece to fall, partially damaging the building, according to a statement released by the construction company, Odebrecht Infrastructure.
It was a procedure that had been carried out many times at the construction site without incident, including the installation a week ago of a piece of roof of the same proportions, the company said.
The stadium is to be the home of Sport Club Corinthians Paulista. The club’s directors issued a statement expressing sadness over the incident.
The construction company identified the victims as Fabio Luiz Pereira, 42, and Ronaldo Oliveira dos Santos, 44.

Share this:

CONVERSATION